NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:55:01 -0500
Yes, turkey is meat, according to the laws of kashrut. Only fish
(non-shellfish) is considered to be non-fleshig (not meat).

No, Kosher turkey has no dairy in it, otherwise it wouldn't be kosher.

Yes, most Kosher turkey is frozen. If you live near a kosher butcher, you
might be able to get one fresh.

You can also get a number of non-kosher turkeys that are not self-basting
and not pre-basted, and thus have no dairy ingredients.

Then you just need to know how to stuff it and baste it. Go with a
dairy-free stuffing, prepared with dairy-free margarine (if you use a
butter replacement at all).

Baste the old fashioned way - with a baster and the turkey's own juices, or
with one of the cheesecloth methods (btw, cheesecloth contains no cheese,
unless it's used cheescloth :-)

We buy ours at Bread & Circus, a Massachusetts-area wholefoods supermarket.
We get the naturally raised kind, with no additives, etc. It's a bit more
expensive than the mass market birds, but it tastes great.

Mark

Mark Feblowitz