NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 15:50:58 EDT
In a message dated 9/4/98 10:18:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Our reason for carrying one is that our schools do not have full-time
 nurses and the staff is forbidden from giving out medications. For several
 years Leslie was "on call" to rush in and give Josh his meds. Fortunately,
 we have been able to get permission for him to carry his own medications
 and to self-medicate when necessary. We've given him proper training, and
 he's done well. >>

Mark,

I am sure you are aware of this, but for others on this list, I just want to
mention that if a child with severe allergies or asthma goes to public schools
(as opposed to private or parochial schools) then accommodations for dietary
considerations as well as dispensing of medications and treatment of
emergencies must be accommodated by the school in accordance with applicable
federal disability laws.  No parent of a child in public school should be
required to rush in and give a child meds because the school doesn't have
adequate nursing staffing or other trained personnel to do so.  A school must
make "reasonable accommodations" to ensure the health and safety of a child
while providing a public education.  Section 504 and the IDEA laws provide for
this.

Lynda