NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:20:12 -0400

> This is not strictly on topic but you guys know more things
> than most about allergies.  My 5yo who has eczema on both
> legs cannot tolerate Off! and Cutter.  I cannot tolerate
> Avon's Skin-So-Soft (one sniff and my nose is clogged and
> dripping).  Is there anything else we can use to keep the
> bugs off him that won't irritate his legs?  he doesn't like
> long pants because they rub his eczema too - besides, it's
> 102 degrees here!

so far as I know there are 2 ingredients that are used as
insect repellents -- DEET and citronella.  DEET works much
better but can be dangerous, and lots of people tend to be
sensitive to it.  Off! and Cutter are DEET-based and I would
guess this is the ingredient your son is reacting to.  (My
4.75-year-old with no other allergies gets a rash from it too.)
Skin-So-Soft is citronella-based, but has lots of other
ingredients in it (are you using the original bath lotion, or
their new bug&sun product?)  We use another citronella product
called Natrapel.  We buy it at CVS (local pharmacy) and I have
seen it in Walmart as well.  On the off chance that you are
reacting to something in the SSS other than the citronella,
you might want to try that.  It doesn't work as well as DEET
but has been fairly effective for my son so far this summer.

Good luck!

--Robyn