CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:53:35 -0500

Dear Rueshann:

My daughter Brittany will be 9 in March and was diag. as a celiac at 10
mos. She was diag. with Type 1 diabetes in Jan. of '98. Our situation of
diags. is backwards compared to your. But what I have heard from other
mom's who children were diag. w/dm first is that getting the celiac
under control immensely helps the blood sugar control. When you have
celiac your absorption is a mess and this throws everything off kilter.

Dr. Alessio Fasano (nationally known celiac expert) recommends that all
1st degree relatives be tested for celiac disease. He spoke at a celiac
conference I attended in the Fall of '98. Plus if any other extended
family members exhibit symptoms it would also be wise to have them get
tested. Also, some celiacs are asymtomatic, which makes celiac much
harder to get diagnosed.

You will have many adjustments, but the "listserve members" will help
you as you go through this transition.

Pam N.