C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry and Dianne Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:32:41 -0700
Emokie,

My son has CP and had reflux and failure to thrive (FFT).  At 14 months, we
had fundoplication and gtube.  There are a couple of types of fundo - Nissen
and Thal are the ones I know about.  The Nissen involves wrapping the top of
the stomach, called the fundus, around the bottom of the esophagus, and
stitching it in place.  This is the most popular form.  The Thal was what
our son had - it involves wrapping the fundus only partially around the
esophagus.  The Nissen makes it impossible for the child to vomit or burp.
With the Thal, he should someday learn to burp.  This is the theory, anyway.
I believe both forms can be done laparoscopically, so that no large incision
is needed.

We got the fundo and gtube with the understanding that the gtube would be
temporary - it would allow us to give him nutrition while he healed from the
fundo, and as soon as the feeding got better, we could take it out.  For us,
the surgery has not worked out very well.  There are a lot of people who've
had good luck with it, too, though.  We did the surgery 4 months ago - and
by now he should have recovered.  What we're finding is that the feedings
through the tube have replaced oral feedings - and that they don't go well
for him.  If we give him a tube feeding - even as little as 2 oz - he
retches and gags, as though he's vomitting - even though he doesn't bring
anything up.  So we ended up with a nighttime pump feeding, at a rate of 1
to 2 oz / hr - and sometimes he retches with that, too.  His weight gain is
just as poor as it was before the surgery, and his quality of life is worse.
That is probably not the typical result, but the doctors sure never
mentioned that anything like this was a possibility.  They talked about the
gtube taking the pressure off feedings.  And that he would get over his
eating aversion when the reflux was stopped by the fundo.

I'm not suggesting that your child shouldn't have these procedures done -
just that your eyes be wide open to the possibilities before you agree to
the surgery.  Also, I'd recommend the gtube list to you - it's got parents
of children with g and j tubes, and adult with tubes, too.  These people
have lots of knowledge about the complications of life with a tube -
granulation tissue management, equipment problems, formula options...  They
have really helped us out a lot - much more than the doctors or the GI
clinic.

The gtube list is [log in to unmask]

Good luck

Dianne
Mom to Reese 6 NDA and Evan 18 mo spastic diplegia fundo gtube