C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:53:53 -0400
Hi David,

> I just finished reading Trisha's post on ETS and e-stim assisted PT.  Two questions for her and anyone else using this treatment for themselves or their children: 1) my school PT said I would not be a candidate for ETS because I was too large (165 pounds) is this true?

    Did she give some logic for this???? Amber is twelve, 4'10" tall and 110 pounds - what does size have to do with it. TES which is the passive portion is done while you are asleep. I wired Amber up and stick her in bed - the end!!

 2) My private PT has an e-stim machine.  Would it be worth asking her to try it on me?  I am spastic diplegic and am trying to build up strength to walk.  Money is not an issue as our insurance pays all PT expenses.  Thanks for your input.

    You are probably going to need more than one machine - Amber has two just for her arm and one for her leg. The electrodes are placed on at the points where the theraspist wants to train the muscles. Amber thumb wants to pull into her palm so there is thumb electrode as well as one further up her arm one at her elbow and one on the back of her arm, one on her shoulder/back and one on her tummy.

    Do we know whether Ginney from Children Hospital is on this list - if not I can run the question by her on the CPParent list. David aren't you on that one too?

                    Brightest Blessings
                         Trisha