AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheikh Kamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 23:34:54 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Uncle Ben:
>
>  The issue of a test case will arise when my real intention (to be a
>  bonafide member of AWA) is flouted.  For now, it is secondary.  As a
>  "chronic bachelor" it is in the interest of the Women's Association to
>  consider my membership.  I understand that due to my difference, it might
>  take a gradual process.  As long as this could be initiated for further
>  consideration, I will be patient while considering appropriate
>  alternatives to accelerating my effort.

*** My dear brothers and sisters of the great Midwest city of Madison, I
salute you from Raleigh, North Carolina.  Thank you for allowing me to
participate in the discussions on this forum.  Having watched the tape of
the African Festival at Madison, I can tell you that yours was a job superbly
done.  My sincere congratulations go to all of you; but my special
felicitations go to Aggo, whose tremendous energy, and immense organizational
skills made that event possible.  You are gradually becoming the envy of
other organizations.  There will always be personal ego pushing and ego
bruising in such organizations, but please do not allow the COLLECTIVE EGO of
AAM to be fractured.

I would like to briefly comment on Askia's DESIRE to become a "bonafide"
member of AWA.   There is nothing particularly new about men being members of
women's associations/organizations/societies.  Even in  some secret societies
in some African countries, some men and women belong to societies of the
opposite sex.  For example, among the Temne in Sierra Leone, a highly
regarded man or woman, well versed in the cultural LORE, who has acquired the
highest level of traditional education, can become an "honorary" memeber of a
society of the opposite sex.  Thus, the DIGBA may become an honorary member
of the exclusively male PORO SOCIETY, and the RAKA may become an honorary
member of the exclusively female BONDO SOCIETY.

However, the parameters in the case of AWA and Askia are different.  Askia's
motives may also be different. It will be instructive to know why the women
broke away in the first place.  I do not want to believe that they did so
simply to engage in what Uncle Ben refers to as "mundane" business.  If their
intention was to provide a good example of how to organize and be productive,
then Askia's intention may be regarded as an attempt to derail the women's
path which is under construction.  I suspect Askia's underlying goal is to
bring the women back to the parent association.  If Askia succeeds, it is
possible that most, if not all, men will apply.  Most married men, especially
uncle Ben, will request "bonafide" membership.  I am sorry, I was only musing.

Sheikh Umarr Kamarah