Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Elsie Steinwachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:23:35 -0700
>Thank you for the explanation regarding the tropical foods. I had eaten
>them alot in Colombia and other southern countries when I was traveling
>thru'. Now I can find them in BC. I am still searching for my favourite:
>chontaduros! but I don't think they travel well?
>
>What is Guam like? For Paleoeating?

Pretty, good, if you consider island food proper paleo fare.

The people tend to live close to the land -- not so many in apartments,
most keeping a few chickens and pigs and growing some tropical crops.  So
it is common for people to eat as follows:
        - Small fish netted in lagoons and crisp-cooked on a barbecue, whole.
        - Long eggplant, taro roots and leaves, plantains, bananas, beer from
coconuts, beer/rice flour cakes, yams, everything cooked in coconut milk.
Chicken, beef, octopus chopped, cooked lightly and served with shopped hot
peppers and grated coconut.
        - They also eat a version of filipino pancit (rice noodles with small
amounts of vegetables and meat items) and also, of all things, potato
salad.  There is no party without a huge potato salad being part of the meal.
        - Due to the spread of civilization from Spain to cental America to the
Philippines and then to Guam, they eat tortillas, which are both flour and
corn, and which are about 1/4-inch thick, pronounced Tah TEE jas.  Tortilla
toast is called toast.  Our kind of toast is called bread-toast.
        - It's hot in the houses and electricity and propane are very expensive,
so many people cook outdoors in a fancy barbecue shelter with a local
firewood called tangantangan.  It gives a delicious smoky taste to anything
cooked over it.

That's not all, but you can ask if you have more questions.

Patty visiting [log in to unmask]