NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:32:33 EDT
1)   Who in your immediate family has allergic reaction to milk, and how
severe is it? For each family member listed, answer questions 2-7
                    ~~~~Son Andrew -diagnosed at 1yr, currently 18months.
Any milk products trigger his asthma.  He must be medicated to stop
wheezing.

2) How long was the person breast fed with no supplemental bottles? (If
supplemental bottles were given for the first week, but then the child was
nursed without supplemental bottles for the next year, please indicate
that).                                         ~~~~~Andrew had no formula
at all for 10 months.

3) How long did the mother follow a dairy free diet, if at all (include
time while pregnant and while nursing)?  ~~~~~~I have not followed a dairy
free diet at all.  I have drastically reduced the amount of dairy I consume
and only over indulge in things like a grilled cheese sandwich or ice cream
when I am sure my son will not be nursing for at least 8 hours.  I probably
will eliminate dairy products in my diet for the next child, hoping that
during pregnancy the elimination of allergens will help reduce the
potential of food allergies for the baby.  Only research will help me
decide that.

4) After weaning, what formula was the child put on?
              ~~~~~Andrew has not weaned. I restrict the amount of dairy I
eat during his awake/nursing hours.  I give him soy formula in addition to
soymilk because formula has more of the calories he so desperately needs as
a toddler.  Carnation Follow up soy, isomil, pro-soybee, they are all
tolerated fine.  Carnation is the best value and there seems to be no side
effects for Andrew.

5) When were any foods containing dairy first introduced to the child (i.e.
first had cheese at 4 months, etc) Andrew loved grated monterey jack
cheese, he was eating it at 6 months, when we first introduced foods other
than breast milk.

6) When and how did the person's dairy allergy first show up?
                    Andrew began wheezing and we treated asthma.  We
medicated from 6-12 months when I requested food allergy tests.  The
elimination of dairy has drastically reduced the need for medication.

7) If the person is your child, what would you have done differently while
pregnant, nursing, or during the first two years of life, if anything?
                                  I would definitely look into the dairy
allergy/eating dairy products relationship before consuming dairy while
pregnant.  I would NOT give my son any dairy products AT ALL during the
first year.

8) For family members not afflicted with dairy allergy, how long was the
person breast fed with no supplemental bottles?
                            I have no allergy, and I was only bottle fed,
never breast fed.

9) For family members not afflicted with dairy allergy, how long did the
mother follow a dairy free diet, if at all (include time while pregnant and
while nursing).                          My mother did not ever follow a
dairy free diet.

10) If you know of women who followed a dairy free diet while pregnant in
the interest of minimizing the child's sensitivity to dairy, when did she
start on the diet? As soon as she knew she was pregnant? Before getting
pregnant? Only during later trimesters?                      I do not, but
would be most interested in finding the answers to these questions before
conceiving another child.

Thank you for compiling this information.  I look forward to "hearing" your
results.  Good luck to you.