NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:27:28 EDT

<< A question that's long been bugging me:
 If AAP(pediatricians) recommend no cow's milk for the first year, why do
 they recommend cheese, yogurt, etc? Same for Wheat/ noodles/breads. Why do
 so many baby foods (eg Gerber mac & Cheese) have milk in them? Is it just
 to increase the Calcium and protein? >>
Juliann,
I asked my son's ped. the same question!  If cows milk is a no-no for the 1st
year, why do so many baby food products have milk or milk derivitives in them?
She told me that milk was fine for infants to eat.  The reason parents are
told not to give their infants milk is so that milk is not used as a main
source of nutrition for the 1st year, breast or formula is given instead.  The
milk is added into the baby food to make it taste better---for the parents
that taste the food, the baby does not know to expect fat in their food to
make it taste good.
My son was diagnosed with milk (wheat,oat,barley,rye,eggs and peanuts too)
allergies at 1year.  I would not given my son any milk products had I joined
this list earlier and knew then what I know now.  I do not have any articles
or sources to quote, just my personal experience.  I will not feed any of my
future children any milk products for the 1st year.
Good luck to you.
Lisa, mommy to Andrew 4-5-97