From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:46:18 -0500

I think Joe is being too pessimistic. The US is a bit behind on this issue,
that's all. In Europe celiac disease is much better known, and I think it's
just matter of time for this country (and it's doctors) to catch up.

>  They are acting like the
>doctors who refused to wash their hands before surgery long after Dr. Lister
>proved that it was absolutely necessary.  Doctors are generally backward!

Well, doctors do wash their hands now. Imagine if patients had decided to
give up on them and do their own surgery...

>This is where we stand and I think it's time we face up to that and stop
>pretending there is any hope of any change in this.  Doctors don't know
>anything about celiac disease and they obviously aren't interested in it.  I
>consider this a good thing.  Treat yourself and stay away from doctors who
>sometimes do potentially dangerous, invasive biopsies that are completely
>worthless.

If you have obvious symptoms, that might work, but the majority of celiacs
doesn't. That is why the disease is underdiagnosed. A biopsy is the only
way to be sure, and it's no worse than a visit at the dentist's.
Just my personal opinion.

Sylvia in Ithaca, NY