BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tina Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:57:40 -0600
Hello,

    I am wondering if there is such a device as this:  a hand held
device that would allow a person with low-vision to scan this device
over print and it would then speak the print out loud as it is being
scanned.  I know there are all kinds of screen readers and optical
character recognition programs for scanners connected to computers.  I
am looking for something that is hand held and does not have to be
hooked up to a computer to read the text aloud.  I also know there are
hand held devices you can hook up to a TV screen to display enlarged
text.  I am looking for something that does not attach to anything, but
can speak the text aloud.  I realize this may not exist, but thought I
would give it a shot.  I attend the Closing the Gap conference every
year and have not seen anything like it there but maybe I didn't look
hard enough.  Please e-mail me at: [log in to unmask]