Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:38:30 -0400
From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Listmates,

Steph's recent posting about soy drinks included the So Good product, so I
thought I would repeat "telling" my experience with that product for this
list.

I discovered after reacting, of course, that So Good originates in
Australia & contains wheat starch. It arrives here (in Vancouver, BC) in
powder form and then is reconstituted and packaged. The original brochure
that was on prominent display when the product was being introduced
includes wheat starch as an ingredient AND the claim that the product is
gluten free. (I still have that brochure - a souvenir of the lesson called
don't always believe what you read!) It took a lot of phone calls on my
part to determine that the culprit was the wheat starch & that the product
originated in Australia. Australian guidelines allow it to be called gluten
free, so the distributor here just assumed it was without checking what the
Canadian guidelines are.

Of course, why would anyone think that if you were in the UK or Australia
or any other countries that follow their guidelines, that gluten free would
mean anything different than gluten free in Canada or the States. And even
Canada and the States don't agree totally on what is or is not allowed on a
gluten free diet. Oops - did I open that can of worms again???

It's a pity - So Good does taste very good!

Helen in Vancouver, BC Canada