From:
Eleanor Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:02:54 -0400

I just came across the website:   http://www.specialfoods.com

The company, Special Foods, sells many obscure, mostly non-grain flours.
Prices are *very high* (many times higher than the HFS or ethnic markets) but
they are guaranteed 100% pure.

The site also has lots of good information and moral support for those
dealing with food sensitivities.  It's geared to parents of autistic and
severely allergic kids, but I think many of us would find it interesting and
helpful.

On one of their pages, they claim that certain specialty flours from other
suppliers have been tested by the US Government and found to contain not
trace amounts, but nearly 100% wheat flour!  Hard to believe, but it might be
true.  There are all kinds of crooks out there.  But here in Canada, I've
bought cassava and yam flour, manufactured and packaged in Africa, at an
ethnic foods shop (Grace Foods in Ottawa).  They were quite inexpensive, and
though I have no guarantees about contamination, they're certainly not
"mostly wheat flour".

BTW, I have no financial connection with any companies mentioned above.

Eleanor Symonds