From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:24:11 -0500

I shall excerpt, and if you want more information, please contact me
directly.

My first two messages, on June 3rd, told the history of my celiac-type
illness and why I decided to try NAET.  I emphasized the fact that I was
never biopsied and may only have an allergy to gluten.  Some people did not
understand that emphasis, as you will see.

>Dear Gayle, I could eat a muffin or a piece of bread or a piece or two of
>pizza and it would not bother me.  If I continued for a week I would have the
>classic CD symptoms.  You may be like me and it just takes more to get a
>reaction.

>Hi Gayle,
>I find this just fascinating.
>And when you go for the NAET treatments, how did he determine the allergens,
>what's the approximate cost, and do you know how long the 'treatments' will
>continue.  Does he stick needles all over or where?  What made you decide
>to try gluten again, and did you try after 2 months?

Answer:  Allergens are determined by applied kinesiology - i.e. muscle
testing.  Cost is $80 for first visit, $40 thereafter.  However, one can
ceal with a number of allergens at each visit, and if anything does not
work, it it re-treated for nothing.  For leather goods (it is the tanning
agent that causes me a problem) it took three tries before I was able to
tolerate the allergen. Tiny needles were placed in both ankles, knees,
hands, elbows, and space between eyebrows - 9 in all.  NOT painful in any
way.  And NO resulting bleeding. I tried gluten three weeks after having
been treated for gluten, although I could have tried after 24 hours.  Just
scared!

New message excerpt:

> Is this
>something that health insurance covers?  I would be interested to know about
>any further developments in your case--positive or negative.

Answer: My acupuncturist is a trained physicians assistant with three years
of acupuncture training, and constant additional training.  She is
dedicated to her work and has been doing it for about 15 years.  However,
she is not a doctor and the treatments are not covered by insurance in this
case.

>Gayle:
>    I am close to tears reading your joy-filled letter.  I am so eager
>to begin NAET.  I'm going to London in October... to think I might have
>Yorkshire pudding - the delight of my childhood.  And to eat bagels
>again.  Not a lot, just one or two a week.
>    Please tell me who to call and I shall request an appointment asap.
>Thank you for your honesty.  Maybe I too, will never rage again.
>Gratefully,

>Denmark is full of celiacs, they did a study in a mental ward and found
>that  the mentally deficient people were celiacs and on a wheatfree
>gluten free diet they could get out of lockup and on gluten they were
>back to being locked up. and on gf they could go home and live a normal
>life.
>
>A gastros in a  big hospital messed up my three grandsons took them off
>a gf diet they had been on for two years put them on gluten three days
>and did a biospy and of course it had to come back neg. and no follow up
>and they were under four yrs and lost  about 14 lbs each. and  they all
>three have mental problems. Excuse= can't look healthy on a gf diet, how
>ignorant is that? their Mom wanted to believe them so much . Oh you have
>to take responsilbilty for your own life , too bad if they don't like it
>, it's your life not theirs.
>
>One more thing, celiac is a disease not an allergy

And another:

*****

>Do you know of a doctor in the Phoenix, Arizona, area who is knowledgeable
>about this?

Answer:  I do not have any list of doctors, but will see my acupuncturist
this afternoon, and learn what I can about sources of names and addresses.

****

> how many times a week do you have to go in for the
>treatments and do they just consist of acupuncture (no herbs, etc.)?  I am
>quite interested in this treatment and am happy to hear you had such good
>results.  I, too, don't mind the GF diet but it is quite difficult if you
>try to go anywhere, even just for a day.  I'm on this blasted, extremely
>limited food rotation diet because I developed allergies to soy, nuts, eggs,
>cheese, etc. since going GF.  It's pretty sad when you drool over other
>people's food and not hunky men :-).

Answer:  I chose to go in twice a week to get it over faster.  Now I'm
cutting back to once a week and will work on formaldehyde, mold spores, and
ragweed  - and maybe exhaust fumes from cars - before I feel sufficiently
healthy to quit.  [I especially like the last sentence of the above quote.]

****

>Last year I read of NAET in Dr. Christianne Northrup's popular book (sorry,
>can't remember titile) on women, their bodies and healing.  Dr. Northrup has
>been on PBS.  She is a gynecologist.  So I proceeded to find a NAET
>practioner.  I asked a couple of Naturopathic docs and chiropractors  in my
>community if they had heard of NAET.  Not one of them knows of NAET.  Would
>your NAET practioner have a colleague in the greater Burlington, Vermont
>area?

****

That wraps it up folks.  I'm off to see my acupuncturist this afternoon,
and will take a copy of this report, as well as the two initial messages to
the list.  Perhaps she will have a response.  Her father was one of the
leading English professors at Cornell when I was an English major, but I
didn't learn that until after completing the initial phase of my treatment.
It just made her work seem that more credible, for me, to know about her
background.

Again, let me say that I am not recommending NAET for celiacs, nor for
anyone else, for that matter.  I'm just telling you of my experience.

Gayle Kennedy