From:
Stephanie Rains <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:56:51 -0800

Hello All:

I got 18 replies (which I am including in case any of you want to read)
to my question with regard to the pneumonia vaccine.  Seems the
consensus through the group is to have the vaccine. However, I did get
one response that seemed very much against it.    In addition, my doctor
told me that the vaccine is just given once.  Thank you all so much for
your responses and support.  I still haven't found a support group but
will take the advice of Mitzi and try and start my own support group.
Best of luck and good health to all.
1. I have had pneumonia vaccine last fall, no side effects. I was also
immunized against the flu.

Every year I do a blood test and a test for blood in the stools. I have also

started to do a bone density test.
Hope all this is of help

Alessandra
2. I had the pneumonia vaccination (sp?) a year ago and had no reaction. I also
wasn't sick the entire winter which was great.
Best Regards,
Susan Wagener
3. Hi Stephanie.  I have been dx for 7 yrs and 4 yrs ago, had a terrible
bout of pneumonia. I had never had it before, but it took me 10 wks and 4
doses of antibiotics. My doc strongly recommended the pneu. vaccine and I
had it 3 yrs ago. No problems at all.  Hope this helps.  Mary in MI
4. Had the pneumonia vaccine in 1995, no reactions or side effects. I also have
the flu vaccine every single year and have actually worked with a whole crew
with the flu and I never got it.  My absolute reco on these.

Sandy Rieser
Houston, TX
5. I had the pneumonia shot a few months ago; without a hint of a side effect.
As I understand it, this shot is given just once to people 65 or older.
Good luck.
Lois
6. I saw your post on the Celiac list.  At the end of last year I had
the Pneumovax vaccine as part of a medical research trial.  There were
no contraindications for having the vaccine and being celiac.  I had the
opportunity to review the medical literature on the vaccine beforehand
and concluded that it is pretty safe.  After having the vaccine, I
experienced a tender arm around the needle site which lasted for two
days, as well as tender lymph nodes in my armpit on the same side.  A
couple of the others on the program also found the same.  I would rate
it as being a similar response to having a tetanus vaccination.
Apparently such a reaction is quite normal and indicates that the immune
system is doing its job.
7. From what I could tell the vaccine is not normally used routinely,
in this country anyway.  It is given to people who have had their spleen
removed, to some people before undergoing major surgery, and to people
with compromised immunity, but not to the general population.  If your
doctor recommends it there is most likely no harm in having it and, who
knows, it might stop you getting pneumonia.
8.  I think that we (celiacs) should have bone density tests, blood tests for
folic acid, calcium and hemoglobin.  I also took a pneumonia and flu vaccine
with no ill effects.  That is what my physician ordered after we discussed
why I should have it at my suggestions.  If you lose weight, you would also
need a test for adequate nutrition but if you stay on a gluten free diet,
that should not be necessary.  These are just my suggestions.  I have been a
Celiac for about 1 1/2 years but I was an RN for forty years and have always
been interested in nutrition.  I sure hope that you find a support group
close by.  Is there a Children's Hospital that may have one?  That is where
ours is located in Columbus, OH.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia from Ohio
9. The pneumococcal vaccine - "pneumovax" is designed to build up immunity to
the most common strains of the bacteria Streptococcus pneumonia which is
the cause of many cases of pneumonia, middle ear infection and meningitis.
It is recommended for persons older than 65 years and those with serious
chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, chronic renal disease, cancer,
emphysema and heart disease. I don't feel celiac disease - unless you are
very malnourished - would be a reason to get the vaccine.
10. I had the vaccine for another reason, I had to have my spleen removed.  I
have had no adverse affects from receiving this vaccine.  Please note, It is
my understanding that you need to get a booster every 5 years.  Hope this
helps,

Karen
11.  The pneumonia shot is OK and I didn't get any side effects from it.  I
have been a Celiac 7 years.  My doctor does blood work yearly on me and she
says that is all I need unless I am having trouble.

As to support groups, I looked in my Life Line Magazine from USA/CSA and
couldn't find a support group near you.  Why don't you start one yourself, as
I did.  Write to:  Celiac Sprue Assoc.  -- PO Box 31700 -- Omaha, NE
68l3l-0700 and ask for info on starting a group.  If you have free
advertising in your Newspaper, put an ad in asking for celiacs to start a
group.  Contact:  doctors, hospitals, dietitians and tell them you want to
start a group.  You'll be surprised how many people will respond.

Hope this has helped you.            Mitzi in Michigan
12. My husband had pneumonia several times following an illness and has not
had it again since his vaccine. I had mine at the same time and neither of us
had any reaction.
13. I had a pneumonia vaccine almost 3 yrs ago. I had no reaction to it
whatsoever.

I don't get the flu shot because it is made in eggs and I am allergic to eggs.
Rosalie  NJ
14. I had the vaccine last year without any problems. I am just not sure how
often one should get it. I had heard every 3years. Good Luck, Mary
15. I got the vaccine last fall with no problems.  I also have
diabetes and am hypothyroid.
16. I get a flu shot every year.  The first year I got sick - after that
I've been protected.  For me, it works well.  It may be one those things you
have to figure out.

Good luck
Pam
Auburn, NY
17. I had the pneumonia vaccine about a half-year ago and had no detectable
reaction to it.  It's recommended because celiacs have an above-average
vulnerability to pneumonia.
18. I had the pneumonia vaccination and it made me sick for about a week, but
not with pneumonia. The public health dept here said it hits about 1 in a
thousand that way. My two friends who had it had absolutely no reaction to
it whatsoever. -vance