From:
James Alpigini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:49:08 -0400

Starting points:

Celiac Sprue Assoc. in Omaha, NE can send you a packet of written info
about the disease. Call 402-558-0600

Celiac Disease Foundation at 818-990-2354, http://www.celiac.org/

Web Sites of interest:

http://www.celiac.com/

Handout to give your MD:   http://home.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html

GF cooking:             www.cookierecipe.com

Food guide pyramid:     http://www.nal.usda.gov:8001/py/pmap.htm

Home page for Theresa Cornelius.  She has compiled an amazing link list on
nutrition and a ton of other subjects :      http://web.utk.edu/~theresac

http://www.celiac.com/frequent.html#serological

http://www.celiac.com/celiac_story.html (this site is interesting when he
refers to abdom pain!)

If these causes are ruled out, then I think you will find the Gottschall
diet (aka the Specific Carbohydrate diet) helpful on a longterm basis.
There is also a website dedicated to this diet at
http://www.inform.dk/djembe/scd/default.html

http://pharminfo.com/disease/gastro.html

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/celiac/index.

Advice on symptoms and diagnosis:

From one of the MD's who read this list:

1) gluten intolerance - the intestinal effects of this disorder cause the
type of symptoms you are describing. Request some blood antibody testing
for gluten intolerance specifically anti-gliadin IgG, anti-gliadin IgA, and
endomysial antibody IgA.

2) complete parasite screen including at least whats called an O&P times 3

----

You appear to have classic celiac symptoms.  I had all of those, probably the
right side pain is the one that I would say is frequently not considered by
Dr.'s.

Essentially as I remember it the probability of a false negative (you have
celiac but the blood tests say no) is around 5% and the probability of a
false positive(the blood tests say you have it, but you don't) is around 1%.

You also need to have the IGg4 food allergy testing (NOT traditional allergy
testing) to see what other foods you may be sensitized to

Sounds like the connection between diet and symptoms is pretty strong, but
correlation doesn't necessarily imply cause, so do check with your doctor.

Heck ya, just try going gluten free for a bit and see what happens

draw IGG, IGA, and antiendomesial antibodies (blood tests) to check for
Celiac

REQUEST AN APPT. WITH A GASTORENTEROLOGIST

The point is, celiac is a tricky thing to diagnose without a biopsy, and it
can be unwise to assume you have it.

If you are going to pursue an official diagnosis of celiac, yes, you have to

One specific tip off is the time of onset of an episode. After ingesting
gluten, the gut reaction is usually within 30 minutes of a meal.

As an FYI, people with Sprue tend to be rather gaunt looking, short, and have
other malnutrition symptoms (bleeding gums, hair loss, swollen abdomen,
etc.).  That's not always universal, though (sometimes they are overweight,
bloated, or even relatively asymptomatic externally).  Sprue is also very
common among those with Irish, English, or Italian descent.

Sounds very suspicious that you could have Celiac disease(and/or Irritable
Bowel,and/or Crohn's Disease). Many people suffer from more than one.

There are two conditions like this: 1. steatorrhea = floating stools with
an oily slick on the water surface which often indicates celiac disease; 2.
frothy stools that float because of the air in them (no oil slick on the
water) usually indicating an intolerance to wheat and/or rye oats barley
(WROB).

Also have you investigated candida?  I have that and cannot eat sweets or I
have big problems.  Candida also responds to a low carb diet.

It has been my experience that going on the gluten free diet is the BEST test
of all.  If symptoms are relieved, you have your answer.  If not, then at
least you're not out hundreds of dollars and hours of time in doc offices.

It isn't as rare as most US doctors realize--current studies at Univ. of
Maryland are suggesting that it is just as frequent as it is in Europe, about
1 in every 250 people; and 2.  Even if comparatively rare, that doesn't mean
YOU don't have it!

Maybe start by asking for the Gliadin blood test? There are also genetic
tests. Of course they will ask you to take the upper and lower GI tests by
scope.

A non dietary approach:

Go see a Chiropractor, sounds to me like your spine is out of alignment.