From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:14:09 -0500
Hi Vee,
Lots of things could be going on here.  Sounds like you have a hardware
conflict in resources somewhere or maybe a bad component.  Finding bad
components is the tried and true method of replacing one at a time until
the problem stops, like those expensive auto-mechanics sometimes do to your
car.  However, you gave a wild guess clue with your boot-up message.  The
IDE controller line is okay, but it is suspicious it wasn't there before.
 The video controller is the clue, the 9 on the end is the interrupt number
(IRQ).  While 14 is the standard PRIMARY IDE IRQ, a PCI video controller
doesn't necessarily need an IRQ.  In fact, I don't know what it is used for
and have never enabled IRQ's for PCI video.  IRQ's are too precious on a
network.  This leads me to ask, "Have you recently been tinkering with the
BIOS CMOS settings?" because you can enable / disable the video IRQ in
CMOS.  My sister's boyfriend did and her computer responded just as you
describe yours.  Admittedly a wild guess but I thought it something no one
else might suggest.
Hope it helps.
Tom Turak

Sent:   Tuesday, February 24, 1998 10:23 PM

It seems something is dying on my computer, but I don't know what.  I
recently lost a hard drive and replaced it with a Maxtor 5.2 GB.  I
loaded Windows 95b, using Fat 32.  Everything seemed fine for a while,
but for the last few days it has been freezing quite frequently, mainly
when I exit a program--not the same one each time.  It will not soft
boot, and the only way I can recover is to turn the computer off.

When I boot up again, I get a message that because Windows was not
exited normally, I must run scan disk.  That's okay, but the message
across the top of the screen is what I do not understand.  It is:

0    7    1    8086    7010    IDE Controller        14
0    8    0    1023    9660    Display Controller    9

At first I was getting only the Display Controller information, now it
is both.

Once I run scan disk it boots into Windows 95 and runs normally until it
freezes again.  Last night it froze 3 times and tonight once.

Vee Richardson