From:
Julie Jarvis RPA-C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:21:30 -0600
Beef heart (or deer heart) is excellent!  We slice it very thin and saute it
in some oil with the regular seasonings-- garlic, salt, pepper, etc.  We have
also "breaded" it by dipping slices in egg, then in crushed pork rinds and
then fry it up.  Takes a little longer to cook, because it is very lean.  Will
be making some tomorrow.  We have 1/2 a beef heart in the fridge-- the other
half was a visual aid for my daughter's science fair project on "The Heart";
we had it labeled so the kids could see what a real heart looked like inside.
So--just use it in any way you'd use a tougher cut of meat.  We don't think
that it has any "different" or stronger flavor-- like liver-- it's just a big
muscle with a little different texture because cardiac muscle is a little
different than skeletal muscle.  Hope you try it!
PS: our butcher just gives us the heart if we want it, so it's very cheap!!

Julie