VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:23:26 -0500
One of the biggest reasons why blind persons should not buy a laptop iis
the fragile nature of the devices.  We don't drive and independent
travelers will likely bang their computer around a lot.  The article
below describes choices in selecting a carrying case that will protect
your laptop investment from the bumps and shocks.

kelly

from the New York times

      August 12, 1997

     Travel Log

      By STEPHEN C. MILLER Bio

It's in the Bag: Paying Extra
To Protect a Valuable Laptop

     P eople will spend weeks looking for just the right laptop. It has
     to be speedy, with a lot of RAM, a large hard drive, a fast CD-ROM
     drive and above all, a great display. A high-end laptop can top out
     at $10,000. Even an inexpensive one will cost about $2,500.

     [INLINE]

     The sealed, pressurized air bag of the Targus "APS" surrounds your
      notebook compartment with a thick layer of shock absorbing air.

     So why is so little thought given to the bag one uses to lug it all
     over creation? Most buyers just take the carrying case offered by
     the vendor. Depending on the vendor, you'll pay about $100 for the
     laptop carrying case. There is nothing wrong with the bags the
     vendor's sell, it's just that they are designed to provide basic
     protection for the computer and its accessories and not much else.

     If you're traveling on business, you have to carry a whole lot of
     other stuff and protect the computer. The case is going to have to
     do double duty as a briefcase and in some cases, an overnight bag.
     By the time you stuff it with floppy disks, CD-ROM's, extra cables,
     a cell phone, your appointment book, six copies of a 10 page
     report, a newspaper, two magazines, a paperback novel and a
     partridge in a pear tree, your once sleek bag is a bulging, heavy
     mess. And it still has to fit under the seat in front of you on the
     airplane.

     Just as your choice of a laptop is a very personal thing, you
     should pick out a carrying case to fit your computing life style.
     Spend a little time to get it right. It is not unreasonable to
     spend $300 to protect a $10,000 investment?

     The good news is that there is a wide variety of bags to suit every
     need. The bad news is that there is a wide variety of bags to suit
     every need. The sales growth in laptop bags has been phenomenal.
     Port Inc. sold 2-million bags in 1993. The company expects to sell
     36-million bags by the end of this year for a 1,100 percent
     increase in 5 years.

     Steven M. Goodman, chief operating officer of Targus Inc., the
     retail market leader, said notebook sales have been increasing at
     about 20 percent per year but that the sales of Targus bags have
     increased 30 percent a year. Goodman said the higher growth rate
     stems from users' upgrading as they discover they need more than
     the basic bag. He also said that many people who don't own
     computers buy the bags because they're useful for carrying other
     things.

     [INLINE]

    Port's Sport Classic is a dual-purpose case that hides your notebook
                       inside a practical sport bag.

     Here are some helpful hints to ease the confusion of buying a case
     for your portable lifestyle.

     As you did with you laptop purchase, list all the things you want
     to carry and find a bag that fits the bill. Don't rule out buying
     two bags. One for short, light computing trips and a larger bag for
     those heavy-duty trips. Most of the time, I travel with just the
     laptop and its accessories. But I also have to make presentations,
     and on those trips, I take a bag to hold the computer, an LCD
     screen and a removable storage device. On those occasions, I carry
     a bag big enough to handle all of that equipment.

     The main thing to consider is protecting your laptop from the
     abuses of travel. It's not just an issue of protecting the computer
     from falls, though that's important, but from the causal abuse of
     traveling. That abuse includes jostling during dashes through the
     airport, bouncing in the trunk of a rental car, or your unconscious
     habit of letting it drop the last two inches every time you put it
     down.

     Inside the bag itself, how is the computer and its accessories
     secured. Some cases use an adjustable partition that fits all size
     laptops. The partition usually has Velcro on either end to keep the
     computer from sliding around. One problem with the
     one-size-fits-all bag is that the extra space may be too large for
     the AC adapter and it rattles around. It's possible for the plug to
     cross the barrier and scratch the case. Port makes cases for all
     the major brands. IBM actually suggests that you buy the Port bag
     for its ThinkPad line.

     [INLINE]

      PCPro1 from Lowepro holds a laptop, printer and a vast array of
                                accessories.

     In evaluating bags, find out how is the computer protected. Is the
     compartment padded on all sides? What kind of padding is used? Is
     it padded from not only outside abuse, but is it also protected
     from internal abuse? Is the power supply's brick in a compartment
     that keeps it from banging against the computer?

     Are there separate compartments for the computer's power supply and
     cables? If your laptop has an external floppy or CD ROM drive, is
     there a compartment to both separate and protect those devices? Is
     there space for pens, notebooks, reports, etc.?

     "You can't have enough pockets," said Cheryl Currid, president of
     Currid and Co., a Houston based consulting firm. Ms. Currid is on
     the road constantly and her issue with a laptop bag is to have
     easily accessible pockets for all her none computing material.

     The next thing to consider is how you tote that barge. The
     ubiquitous shoulder strap is standard on every case, but it
     wrinkles my suit and causes me to list to starboard. Most of the
     time, I carry the bag by the handle. It's the first thing I look
     for in a bag. The handles on the Kensington bags are among my
     favorites. The handles are round and padded. It seems the most
     comfortable to me.

     [INLINE]

      Kensington's SaddleBag can be carried a backpack or an attaché.

     While I prefer to lug my laptop by the handle, the shoulder strap
     is the next item to consider on your laptop list. Pick a strap that
     feels comfortable and has enough padding. Make sure that the pad is
     smooth where it rests on your shoulder. The ones that allow the
     shoulder pad to slide through the strap often slip and you end up
     with no padding and a sore shoulder. The better straps are also
     curved to follow the contour of your shoulder. Lowepro Inc. has a
     well-padded shoulder strap.

     For heavy-duty functionality the PCPro1 from Lowepro, Inc., is one
     of the most versatile. It's a large bag, about the size of an
     overnighter, but it's a bag within a bag and the laptop case fits
     inside. It can be carried separately. It also gives you a
     compartment for office supplies and a third compartment for
     computer peripherals. What was impressive about the peripheral
     compartment was the inside were three, smaller, zippered bags. Each
     offers additional protection and had Velcro on the bottom to hold
     them firmly in place.

     For the casual traveler, Kensingtion's SaddleBag is a nice
     alternative. It is a backpack but if a more formal appearance is
     needed, the straps can be tucked away in a zippered compartment and
     you have a business like attaché. It also has enough pockets.

     Port has a line aimed at women executives. Several of the bags are
     in colors other than black. Most have trim that makes them look
     more like handbags rather the computer bags. Currid thinks that
     those who travel frequently should have multiple bags to suit the
     occasion both practically and as a fashion statement. "It's a time
     for function and fashion," she said.

     Related Sites
     * Port
     * Targus
     * Kensington
     * Lowepro

                 Copyright 1997 The New York Times Company