From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 07:37:51 -0500
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Ray Audette wrote:

> Todd is refering to the fact that Stefanssonson's and Anderson's
> cholesterol rose dramaticly during during this experement.  This cannot
> be explained by their fat consumption as this degree of increase has
> never been seen clinically from fat consumption.  It is explained in
> Stef's autobiography when he talks of their spending long hours in the
> hospital drinking endless cups of boiled coffee.  This is the only way
> known to science to produce this degree of cholesterol increases.
> (from a previous post)

Ray, this doesn't explain how my cholesterol went from 226 to 320
in three months without drinking any coffee at all.  I can cite
other literature documenting substantial rises in cholesterol on
ketogenic diets, though not as dramatic as Andersen's.  I have
probably had my cholesterol tested more often than anyone on this
list, and there is a strong correlation between LDL and animal
fat intake, whether my diet is ketogenic or not.  I grant you
that some people will not find this correlation, but obviously
some of us do, for reasons still unclear.  People for whom
cholesterol is a concern should at least be aware of this.  I
persist in mentioning it because you assert in Neanderthin that
this kind of diet improves cholesterol.

But it ain't necessarily so.

Todd Moody