From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:58:29 -0700
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Ray Audette wrote:
>
> > >From DNA samples we know that Neanderthal began this process many
> > generations before it manifested a noticicable change in physiology
> > resulting in Cro-Magnon.
>
> Since most of the scientific community apparently rejects the
> view that the Cro-Magnons were descended from the Neanderthal,

Rather, only a few anthropologists agree on anything or the controversal
recent DNA findings and how they may or may not promote the "Out of
Africa" theory of modern man.  Very similar DNA findings were recently
found between wolves and dogs, but nobody sugested that dogs wern't
decended from wolves.  This may indicate a cultural bias, perhaps the
same feelings that led to Neanderthal's extintion.  After all, the
"Horned Forehead One" is the symbol for evil in many cultures. Comparing
the wolf/dog results with the Neanderthal/cromagnon results does show
some remarkable similarities and follows the time line I outlined in my
post.

But best sources I can give you for Neoteny are "Covenant of The Wild"
by Budiansky and Paul Shepard's "The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred
Game" both in my bibliography.  This process that we call domestication
is a common one in Nature and leads to a lot of symbiotic relations
(lichen is a good example).

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander