From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:33:08 -0400
On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Mary wrote:

> I continue to get warnings about a keto diet.

But do the warnings have any solid substantiation?

> Doesn't pemmican contain most trace biochemicals needed?

Since minerals don't degrade, I would expect meats to be a good
source of them.

> The ketogenic diet is far more extreme than any fad diet; it is
> important to ensure that various trace biochemicals that would be
> present in a normal diet are supplemented in the ketogenic diet.  Also,
> the objective of the diet is to achieve ketosis, in which the metabolism
> of the body is operating in a non standard mode, otherwise only found
> during fasting.  These things create medical risk far beyond any fad
> diet.

What is the risk, specifically?  If this person cannot make it
explicit, the warning does not have much subtance.  Whether
ketosis is "non standard" depends on what one is doing most of
the time.  We know that most humans do not live in ketosis.  We
also know that they *can* live in ketosis for long periods
without danger.

> Potentially the diet should be applicable to people of any age, although
> most experience is with younger children.  The older the child, the more
> he will be aware of the restrictions imposed by the diet, although
> conversely, the more you can give him explicit motivation.  Probably the
> majority of children on the diet are aged around 6.

This is probably the greatest "danger" -- that your son will be
less compliant as he gets older and has a clearer understanding
of what he is being put through.

Todd Moody