NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 18:32:07 -0800
Here is a Chicken Paprikas recipe that I just typed in for a friend of
mine and thought I'd forward to the list.  I made it for a dinner I took
to her after she had a new baby.  Her older child is allergic to dairy
and she was totally thrilled that I could cook such a rich meal with no
dairy.  All of her chicken with sauce recipes have dairy.  She'd never
heard of the Sour Supreme.  I served it with orzo that had a little
margerine on it and steamed brocolli.

The original recipe calls for sour cream, but I use Tofutti Sour Supreme.
  The original came from "The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors."
 It's a Hungarian house specialty that I remember my grandmother making,
but she didn't put the peppers in.  I like this one better (but don't
tell her that :-)

Kathy P.

Chicken Paprikas

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
1 large onion, chopped
1 3 1/2 lb chicken cut into serving pieces
        or equivalent boneless pieces
1 c chicken stock
1 medium tomato, diced
2 Anaheim or Cubanelle peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

Thickening:
1/2 c Tofutti Sour Supreme or dairy sour cream
2 tbsp flour

Heat large heavy stove top casserole and add oil and paprika.  Saute for
a minute until fragrant and add onion.  Saute for a few minutes.  Add
remaining ingredients except thickening.  Bring ot a simmer and cook,
covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour until everything is tender.  Remove
chicken peices and set aside.  Combine sour cream and flour and mix well
using a wire wisk.  Add 1 cup of gravy from the pot to the thickening and
mix well to avoid lumps.  Stir this mixture into the pot and stir until
it thickens.  Return chicken to pot and return to serving temperature.
Serve with hot buttered pasta or Spaetzle.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]