BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:30:43 -0400
I believe this brick was made using a very stiff mix, not your typical slop
mix. Some say only the water present in the clay. Raming into molds allowed
the manufacture of a very square and consistent brick. The double pressed
refers to another system when the bricks were extruded, partly dried then
pressed. The close tolerances allowed tight joints , typically 1/8"  I think
they were fired at low heat as you can easily dig into then with a
screwdriver. To help John with his estimate using these bricks the following
I quote from my 1909 estimating book, "A mason should lay an average of 1200
brick per 8 hr Day on ordinary wall work. On the other hand the number may
drop to 200 or 300 on the best grade of pressed brick work. Masons wages
vary from $.50 to 75 cents per hour"
    Yes, deep red, smooth. best seen at sunset on an east west St.