CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
john wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 09:17:22 -0700
Hugh Denman wrote:

>  I'd be especially interested in a
> site with a right-wing / establishment / reactionary perspective, for the
> sake of comparison.

I would be interested in this also, but it seems that Chomsky is basically just
ignored by these people. There are some broadside criticisms of him, but there is
little if any in-depth discussion by the establishment of Chomsky's views.

> Also, any sites with good introduction to his
> linguistic theory would be interesting.

I'm not sure what level of introduction you want, but if you need to start at the
very beginning (like myself), the book "Teach Yourself Linquistics" (Fourth
edition by Jean Aitchison) might be a good place to start. Here's a quote from
the back cover: "In its final section, it explores Chomsky's transformational
grammar, and devotes a chapter to his 'Government and Binding' theory." Then
there is "Chomsky for Beginners" by John Maher and Judy Groves.

John Wakefield