CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Martin William Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:24:53 +0200
Milutin writes:
> Martin wrote:
> >The double standard is with respect to where and when you protest.  It is
> not based on an objective morality, which would dictate that you protest in
> both cases.
>
> Jess, how can morality be objective?  Martin, think about this one.

If you and I have the same moral code with respect to bombing, then
our moral code on bombing is objective with respect to us.  If I
protest the bombing of Yugoslavia on the basis that it is immoral
because my moral code says that bombing is immoral, and I do not
protest the bombing of Chechnya, then either my alleged moral code is
not my real moral code, or I have a double standard.  Since I claim
that my moral code includes the rule that bombing is immoral, and I
write from that position and allow you to believe that I mean it, if I
protest the one bombing and not the other, I am being dishonest.
Either my alleging that I am protesting the bombing of Yugoslavia on
moral grounds is false, or my claim that I do not have a double
standard on protesting bombing is false.

martin