From:
"Michael E. Coe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:26:23 -0400

** People new to the list should note that the Celiac Sprue Association
 / USA advises against drinking alcohol distilled from wheat, rye,
barley, or oats -- but that not everyone agrees with this position **

For those of you who enjoy Scotch and feel comfortable that
distillation effectively removes gluten, I have done some informal
checking on the question whether, as has been suggested in
some e-mails and (I think) by the CSA/USA, the gluten-containing
pre-distillate might sometimes added back in after distillation "for
flavor," thus contaminating the final product.

I went to a Johnny Walker Scotch Tasting last week, hosted by a
gentleman who has worked for decades blending whisky for that company,
which owns 40% of all the distilleries in Scotland.  And I asked this
man whether the mash (or whatever it's called) is ever added back in
after distillation.  The answer was, "No."  That stuff, he says, is fed
to the cattle.  Most of the flavor comes from aging in Spanish and
American Oak Casks that previously held sherry or whisky.

Of course, this isn't scientific, and it doesn't PROVE that Scotch is
GF.  But it leaves me (even more) comfortable that there is no reason
for me to avoid drinking Scotch whisky.  You should do what makes you
comfortable.

If anyone, especially any Irish list members, has done any similar
"research" regarding Irish whiskey, I'd like to know.  (I have a bottle
of Bushmills in my cabinet.)

--
Mike