From:
James Alpigini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:49:57 -0400

Laboratory suggestions:

The best lab for the test is IMMCO in Buffalo, NY, phone 1-800-537-8378 and
ask them to send you a kit for drawing the blood. It will also include some
information for you and the Dr.

Dr.  Alessio Fasano at the University of Maryland.  If you send him blood, he
will test you for Celiac free of charge

There is a doctor in Westchester Ct. that is doing a study to see if people
have the celiac gene. He is doing the study at Columbia. His name is Dr.
Peter Green.

Univ of Maryland, or to Specialty Labs in Santa Monica, or to IMMCO
in Buffalo.

Specialty Labs in CA (1-800/421-4449).

Books:

4 blood types, 4 diets
Eat Right For Your Type
by Dr. Peter D'Adamo

"Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall

Bette Hagman's
book, "The Gluten-Free Gourmet".

"COPING WITH CELIAC"
http://home.att.net/~GBENNETT1533/index.html

http://www.sofdesign.com/neander
Neanderthin is an excellent book on nutrition. The author, Ray Audette,

[This e-mail was a teaser -- I want the book!]
I am working on a cook book now and it has a lot of wonderful, GF recipes
which include crawfish etouffe--I am of cajun descent--and good old
biscuits--a little southern touch.

Food and nutrition:

From your symptoms: I can tell that you are malabsorbing fats.I would
suggest that you supplement with a multi-vitamin and mineral. Especially,
Vitamin A,D,E,K, potassium, and calcium. These will be the main nutrients
that will be lost. There are probably others. Celiacs also should
supplement Vitamin B12, and iron. All these should be in a good
multi-vitamin and mineral supplement.

You don't have to give up pizza and pasta, you can use rice flours etc.
Miss Roben's has a good pizza mix, and she has a great pasta called
Pastariso. 1800 891-0083. I say this after trying several other lacking
brands.

I had to give up my beloved scotch, but rum and tequila aren't so bad!

On this list I have heard that there are some beers that are made with hemp
rather than grains and these are certainly safe for celiacs -- haven't
actually found these yet.

The really good news?.....  you can get GF chocolate!!!!

PIZZA: hie thee hence to http://www.kinnikinnick.com ... they have
awesome frozen pizza shells .... and DONUTS! ... and bread ...

Mind you, I haven't found a beer replacement yet but there
is very good GF pasta and pizza and Jack Daniel's is OK if not a true
substitute for single malt.

I not miss beer, scotch, bread, etc.  Poison is poison.

You will be able to have pizza (Miss Roben's) and pasta (Tinkyada) for sure,
and you will be happy to drink rum and wine instead of scotch and beer

Dietary Specialties has a prepared pizza which is quite good.(add your own
pepperoni)
Pastariso pasta is good
Dubonnet is better than Scotch or beer
Citrucel seems easier on the system than Fibercon.
I like Kame rice crackers and Bi-Aglut crackerbread and Pamela's cookies and
Glutano pretzles.