From:
Lynn Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 23:29:02 EDT

Folks,

     I am forwarding this at the request of another member of our list
who is having trouble getting this on-line. Please send answers directly
to her. Thank you.
Lynn

--------------------

Hi fellow Coeliacs/Celiacs :o)

Quick question for all Californian or American Celiacs.

I'm from Dublin and have lived here for most of life. I've
been celiac now for 20 years and know where to shop/eat
etc. to maintain my coeliac lifestyle. Celiac disease is
actually quite common here.

The thing is I'm being transferred with work to California,
Long Beach. I was wondering if any of the American Celiacs
(especially anyone in the Long Beach area) could mail me
and let me know what exactly shopping for a glutenfree
diet involves there. Can I buy glutenfree bread in
the supermarkets there? What about glutenfree pasta etc.?
Are there any brands to look for or avoid? I've been on
short trips to the states many times and actually found
it quite difficult eating in canteens at work there
or out as a lot more food seems to be deep fried /battered
than here.

Any help really appreciated (if people could reply to
me at my address [log in to unmask] that would be great
and I'll send a summary to the list).

Margo.