From:
Judith Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:56:54 +0900

First, I would like to thank each of you very much for replying to my
inquiry about gluten and dairy free soy-based products.  The following
summarizes those replies, and I hope it is of some help.

Re: Wheat and Dairy free milks:

Besides "Blue Diamand" and coconut milk, suggestions included "White Wave"
soy milk in the RED container--it is gluten free.  Their other products are
not (in blue container).  "Darifree" by Van's is made from potatoes and
works well in baking, but it is very sweet and most people don't like it on
cereal. "Darifree" comes in a powder which you mix with water to make a
milk, if you like creamer in your coffee.  "So Good"is dairy free and made
of soy.

Additionally, it was suggested that the safest brand is "Pacific" brand. All
their rice milk and soy milk is milk free and GF. As for other brands, some
are wheat free and some are not. Thus, the "EdenSoy" I had a problem with,
though another line of "Eden's" may be okay--check the labels.  It was also
mentioned that sometimes companies like "Westsoy" don't understand the
difference between gluten free and wheat free, so its best to avoid their
products altogether.

On wheat free soy (tamari) sauce:

Wheat-free tamari in the US has corn in it. Bragg's Amino's (odd name) is
l00% soybeans and filtered.  San J soy sauce is also GF; and so is the one I
more recently found from Mitoku Macrobiotic, called Mansan Organics.

In conclusion:

, some important warnings were that some soy and rice milks are sweetened
with rice syrup, which often starts with a culture that is cultivated in
barley, so can cause a reaction, too.  Also, I was reminded that in the US,
the FDA requires that all ingredients have to be listed UNLESS they are less
than 2% of the total volume of the product.

I called Mitoku Macrobiotics who makes the Tamari sauce Manssan Organics
that I am presently using.  They also ship to the US.  The regulation in
Japan is that if you say what is in a product, it must be there, but
otherwise there could be anything!.  I ordered their catalog and will post
any interesting discoveries later.  They also supposedly make a rice milk
that is dairy, soy, corn and wheat-free.

Hope this is of help to some of you who are both dairy and gluten
intolerant, but maybe not too much of a help unfortunately for those of you
who can't have soy!

Gomen. ne!

Best wishes for a happy, healthy week.

Judith Preston