NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:21:58 -0500
Jeane Schoen wrote:

> About the idea of using a compounding pharmacy to have drugs made up without
> lactose, etc. a pharmacist told me this service is only available for
> generic drugs, not for popular new drugs (likely the migraine medication).

Apparently this is correct. Here is a reply from a compounding pharmacy:

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:23:29 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]

Compounding pharmacies can prepare any drug IF the chemical or drug is
available.  Drugs still under patent are not available in chemical form yet.
Manufacturers will not sell us pure drug if their products are still under
patent.  Once patents expire, the chemicals are available and then we can use
them in pure form.  Formulas are easy to get and figure out, they are a
non-issue.
Scott