NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:50:36 -0500
Non-dairy creamers are almost all dairy. They're just following the
old pattern of calling processed dairy protein non-dairy. This is
fine for some people, but a strict no-no for people with severe dairy
allergy, unless they have demonstrated conclusively (with tests and a
double-blind challenge) that they are not allergic to casein.

If you find a non-dairy creamer that is (properly) labeled
kosher-pareve, it will be truly free of casein (and virtually dairy
free). These exist, but are more difficult to find.

The Stop & Shop store brand, I believe, is kosher pareve.

> I am able to eat some non dairy creamers even though they ALL have
> casein.  But the store brands
> don't ever seem to bother me and I always figured it was because
> their casein was not derived from
> dairy.  You know, cheaper!  <smile>

Mark Feblowitz