C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 14:24:16 -0400
> I've been on this list for awhile, and on CP Message boards even longer.  In
> all that time, it still blows my mind every time I hear about how late kids
> are getting diagnosed.  I too wasn't diagnosed until 13 months old, but this
> was in the early 1960's.  I'd hoped the medical profession had made some
> strides since then, but from what I've heard, not when it comes to a DX.

Hi Denise

I don't know how it works by you but many parents in my area
are concerned with labelling children with cerebral palsy so
many physicians hesitate to diagnose.

Here in New York City, a lot of the children that were typically diagnosed
with cp 10 years ago are now given the diagnosis of developmental delay.

Unless it is clear cut like spina bidfida, hydrocephalus, intraventricular hemmoraghe we
rarely see definitive diagnosis. Also remember cerebral palsy technically isn't really
a definitive diagnosis.

Just my 2 cents

Alan
Alan Fried