VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Mikochik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Mikochik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 07:22:34 -0400
this is very strange because the autoexec.bat file is not a program file
but a text list of dos commands.  i have never heard of this type of file
having a virus on it.  you may want to check it out again.
but assuming this is correct, and assuming you only use windows and do not
have dos speech installed, go to notepad and open
c:\autoexec.bat

print it off or copy it by hand
you should not make an electronic copy of an infected file.

exit notepad without saving and delete the autoexec.bat in either windows
explorer or control panel
remember to get rid of it in the recycle bin also

then go back to notepad and type in the file again remembering to press
the enter key after each line.  this is a text editor not a word
processor.

you have to make very very sure that the file is exactly as it originally
appeared.  the commas in the same place the spaces and slashes exactly as
they were.

it is easier and better to do this in dos mode if you can.

also, for the most part in windows95 and 98 (i am not sure about
2000) that the autoexec.bat file is not necessary for windows to
function.  this is generally speaking, not having your computer in front
of me and knowing it's exact configuration this may not be the case, but
when windows is installed in a brand new computer the autoexec file has no
executed commands in it.
if you need more exacting information you can write to me.  you should be
sure of what the autoexec file does before you start messing with it.

pete mikochik