From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 07:48:02 -0500
At 06:45 1/18/99 -0500, Capt. Zyla wrote:
>From time to time pcbuilders refer to the term FSB. What does
>it mean?

Hi John

FSB is the acronym for Front Side Bus...the data pathway between
the Central Processing Unit (CPU), the main memory (the RAM),
and the motherboard chipset.

The motherboard chipset connects to other buses like the PCI bus,
the AGP bus, the ISA bus, the USB bus, and the SCSI bus. (These
buses are the data pathways into which you plug your computer's
expansion cards and peripherals.) By the way, the interfaces
between buses are called bridges.

The CPU generally runs internally at a speed which is a fixed
multiple of the FSB frequency. (For example, a 333 MHz CPU
would run at a frequency that is 5X its computer's 66 MHz FSB.
Or a 450 MHz CPU would run at a frequency which is 4.5X a FSB
frequency of 100 MHz.)

Regards,
Bill

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html