From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:08:42 +0000
On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 Sean Finnegan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I have Windows 95, sometimes when starting up the system freezes.
>So I have to shut down and reboot.
>
>I would like to know how I can overcome this problem.

This kind of problem is often reported on PCBUILD. Here are
references to articles on the Microsoft Knowledge Base which
may help in the diagnosis of this and other Win 95/98 troubles.

You can get your own copy of an article by sending a blank email
to [log in to unmask] with the article-id as the subject, e.g.
   TO: [log in to unmask]
   SUBJECT: Q136337
   MESSAGE: <leave this part blank>

Q136337 Troubleshooting Windows 95 Startup Problems

>This article describes troubleshooting steps that may help you solve
>problems starting Windows 95. This information is also available in our
>Windows 95 Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard. We recommend using
>this wizard, but we have also created this text-based article for your
>convenience. The Windows 95 Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard is
>located on:
>
>   http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/default.asp

This lengthy (13K) and detailed article will take you through steps
to diagnose the cause of Win 95 startup problems. I have used the
procedure to confirm that Win 95 was starting up correctly despite
what I eventually decided was a minor IDE channel incompatibility
between a hard disk and a CD-ROM. I have not tried the Wizard.

Q136337 refers to the following five articles, so you might like to request
them at the same time if you think they might be relevant to your problem.

Q129972 Description of Computer Viruses
 (A general explanetion of how viruses work)
Q118579 Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
 (This contains the Boot Menu and some start-up options.)
Q155364 OSR2 Hangs After Booting Previous Operating System
 (The dual boot feature of Win 95 was removed in OSR2: applying OSR2
  as an upgrade over Win 95A may leave a fatal choice in the Boot Menu!)
Q131431 How to Troubleshoot Registry Errors **
Q156126 Troubleshooting Windows 95 Using Safe Mode

** If you are going to tinker with the Registry you should read these two:
Q132332 How to Back Up the Registry and
Q139437 Windows 95 Emergency Recovery Utility
 (It's no good fastening your seat belt _after_ you hit the tree!)

Q151284 Top Articles on Troubleshooting Windows 95

This article is essentially the following listing:

ARTICLE LISTING
===============

ITEM ID ARTICLE TITLE                                                PAGES
Q124267 Display Adapter Information and Useful Switches                  3
Q127139 Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows 95                     5
Q128345 Troubleshooting Printing Problems in Windows 95                 12
Q130179 Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks          4
Q130362 How to Install and Troubleshoot the Hewlett-Packard JetAdmin
        Service                                                          3
Q130946 Troubleshooting Windows 95 Backup                                4
Q131431 How to Troubleshoot Registry Errors                              4
Q131690 Troubleshooting Floppy Disk Drive Problems in Windows            3
Q133175 Troubleshooting DriveSpace in Windows 95                         3
Q133240 Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager             2
Q133285 SCSI Setup & Basic SCSI Troubleshooting in Windows 95            3
Q133440 Fatal Exception Error Starting Windows 95                        6
Q135224 Error Message: Rundll32.exe Has Performed an Illegal Operation   1
Q135737 SoftRam Version 1.03 Is Incompatible with Windows 95             2
Q136337 Troubleshooting Windows 95 Startup Problems                      5
Q136830 DriveSpace May Fail to Restart in Mini-Windows Mode              2
Q137335 Error Message: Invalid VxD Dynamic Link Call from...             6
Q140334 Troubleshooting Wave Sound File Problems in Windows 95/98        4

End of listing.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com