From:
Les Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:26:30 -0500
On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Ken Stuart wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:28:57 -0500, a person wrote:
>
> >Greetings, All. I am a new member to the List. I haven't yet posted
> >an introduction here, but will do so shortly.
>
> This reminded me of something.   ( It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do
> with the person who stated the above, by the way. )
>
> I subscribe to several mailing lists and a number of newsgroups.   The smallest
> mailing list has well over a hundred people and the largest well over a
> thousand.   The newsgroups may have a hundred thousand readers each or more.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering where the idea came from, that each subscriber to the
> mailing list ought to introduce themselves, in the form of relating personal
> information.
>
> NOTE:   This is not a criticism of anyone who has done so, just an inquiry.

Hi, Ken:

_Sometimes_, I play by the rules. When I recently joined this list I got a
long list of do's and don't's concerning posting.  Among the "do's"  the
List "Powers That Be" suggested posting an introduction. It is THEIR idea,
_not_ mine. I have no idea what the common practice is here. Most Lists --
including some really heavy-duty ones -- welcome and encourage introduc-
tions from new members. If you're telling me that that's not the case
here, fine. I will gladly remain a cypher and an enigma. It's _much_
more difficult to accurately place the blame that way! :)

I just didn't want to step on _too_ many toes with my first post!

Les Smith