From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:18:11 -0500
T. Martin wrote:
>How do you mean?
>
>I'll avoid the use of vague measures like "a couple of handfuls". 625 mL
>of mixed nuts (about the volume of a plastic pop bottle) supplies over
>2000 calories. Of course requirements vary, but this value is surely
>enough for most people to subsist on. Especially considering that when
>waiting for western civilization to reboot, the average survivalist will
>probably spend most of their time holed up at home.

I'm sorry, my intent was not to criticize your reasoning.  It's just that I
don't think your strategy would work well for me.  Munching on nuts doesn't
do much to satisfy my appetite, unless I eat them until I feel sick, but
that's not quite the same thing.  Also, I seem to need an unusually high
number of calories, even when I'm sedentary (I can't cite an exact number,
because I've never counted calories).  None of this is relevant to your
recommendation, because my needs are probably atypical, and even I could
subsist on nuts (however unpleasant the experience might be) over the short
term.  Please excuse my self-centred digression.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland