From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:29:11 -0500
>From:    Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Programmed to be fat?

>> Please notice that James was writing about specific people whom he
actually
>> saw eating this stuff. Also, his 'bottom line' statement, while
probably
>> intended to state that these people overeat didn't actually say that.

My actual meaning was along those lines, in that if you weigh more than
you want, you need to eat less.  "Overeating" is basically the result of
eating enough to be heavier than the individual wants to be (very
subjective and personal).

>...It is because of LPL
>that "rebound" weight gain can be so astonishingly rapid.  This
>is another illustration of the assertion that we are "programmed"
>to conserve or replace our fat stores, if possible.  I don't have
>any information about whether LPL activity subsides after a while
>if the lower weight can be maintained.  Some say that the point
>of lowest LPL activity determines the body's "setpoint," but I
>don't know if that has been corroborated.
I have read that on some extreme diets (high protein was their example) a
person's fat cells can actually become damaged.  In severe cases, the
cells can become up to ten times as effective at storing fat, reportedly.
This would make it extremely difficult for such a person, I would assume.
(I am not claiming high protein diets are bad or anything - just relaying
info)

>My *guess* is that most obesity is a consequence of being
>subjected to unnatural feeding patterns and unnatural foods for
>an extended period of time.

>In civilization, we have many
>opportunities for obesity.
Yes, unfortunately.

  For example, I was a bottle-fed baby,
>and my mother thought it was charming that I would gladly accept
>*double* the recommended amount of baby formula (perhaps because
>it was nutritionally poor).

I was bottle fed also.  I am happily seeing my new baby girl getting her
mother's milk now.

  And then, of course, I grew up in a
>world of refined carbs.

So did I, as I am sure most modern people did.  Actually, I did live on a
farm until I was ~6, maybe the garden veggies and wholesome foods helped
me.

>I think it is quite natural for the
>body to tend to conserve fat; it's just not natural for it to
>have so much to conserve.

Yes, this seems obvious to me, and a natural consequence of a modern SAD
society.

James Crocker
"Beautiful are the things we see.
More beautiful those we understand.