From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 07:18:38 -0400
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:05:33 -0500, Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>    Personally, I consider rice to be a Dominion species (one of the 7 plant
>>species that has rulership over mankind in a symbiotic relationship).
>
>Kaiden --
>
>I never heard of this Dominion concept.  Can you tell us a bit more, or
>maybe provide some URLs or book titles?

I know that rice is one of the "seven grains" considered as
special (maybe "holy") plants by several cultures.
These are: wheat, barley , rye, oats, rice, millet, maize.
They have been introduced to humanity by differnt cultures in different parts of the
world (maize america, millet africa, rice eastern, oats northern
rest middl
e europe).
They are assigned different effects on the mood (oats choleric-aggressive,
rice calm for ex).
Agriculture of grains is considerably more difficult than that of other
crops (like potatoes for ex.). That's why ancient authors considered it
as the characteristic of a developed and advanced culture.
For these informations i could reference books in germal language
if someone desired it)

But these 7 plants have never been the only "symbiontic" beeings to
human agriculture. Every early culture hat legumes assiciated with
their main grain plant.
In middle europe and near east that was for example
emmer(wheat), barley plus lentils and peas.
In america maize and beans.
A big variety of other plants has been associated to these main protein
plants also.
For example in america sunflower and pumpkins (iroquese).
In Europe flax, poppy, later hemp.
All in all about one dozend differ
nt varieties.

Of course that's all neolithic information and not paleolithic.
Of value to paleolithic-foodists could be IMO to take a look at the
rather big variety of genetically propably not so much modified plants
that are or could be available comercially.
Sunflowers, several turnips for example.
And then find a trade off between availability, modification
and the personal allergy potential.

Nice to see that totally unmodified plants are still available.
Several nuts (coconut, brazils...) and some fruits(mango)
and herbs (dandelion) for example.

regards

Amadeus