NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Michelle T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 03:31:37 -0800
I cannot remember if I mentioned in my originating email, but, I have heard
(feel free to correct me if I am wrong) that caramel color can be made 3(?)
differeent ways: 1) by caramelizing milk, 2) by caramelizing brown sugar
(this one is not a problem for the dairy allergic) and 3) by caramelizing
some part of the beet (I am not sure about this last one, but, if true would
also not be a problem for the dairy allergic).  I have made the personal
decision that for myself, I will just stay away from all caramel, caramel
color and caramel coloring, some people might call that the lazy way out
since I do not call up the company to make sure about the cooking process,
but, to me, it sounds like the safest method for me since I have even had
knowledgeable doctors not be able to tell me where things like gelatin and
caramel color come from (I know, I know, I have wierd food allergens since I
am also allergic to beef, pork, horse hair (those 3 could/might alone/in
combination be the cause of the gelatin allergy) and chocolate/cocoa).  Yes,
there is still enough food for me to eat, luckily even as a kid I was not a
picky eater (as a child would only refuse beef liver).

Michelle T. aka Pegasus

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/