NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:50:46 -0500
As a practising Catholic, I can empathize. The Church has it's bureaucracy,
even though it has one of the flattest hierarchies anywhere. To get to my
point -- I really wonder if the school has the right to refuse. Here in
Toronto, that would be a quick discrimination case and the school board
wouldn't dare refuse. Several recent test cases have gone against school
boards in Ontario for kids with very serious disabilities. There may be one
big difference though -- we have a publicly funded Catholic school system
(a very, very long story which has its roots in the Act which created
Canada in 1867 -- but it has withstood numerous anti-discrimination suits).

Last but not least, a visit to the parish priest might be a good idea.

I presume you have approached the Principal. I always try the high road
first, then get down and dirty (slight exaggeration <g>). I would use all
the powers that be in your parish to bring pressure on the school principal
if you don't have legal rights like we do here.

Good luck.

Don M