NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kristin T Hulling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:30:47 -0500
I am new to this listserv and had a few questions I'm hoping some of you
can answer.
My son is now 3 1/2, but we discovered at one month old that he was
allergic to milk.  I cut all dairy out of my diet and continued nursing
him for a year.  Before weaning him I also introduced him to Isomil Soy
Formula which he loves.  At 14 months I took him to an allergist who did a
blood test for milk allergy.  The test came back negative.  The doctor
said that either meant he was not allergic OR that he was too young for
the test (I still don't understand that answer.)  The doctor claimed the
only way to tell if he was still allergic was to test him with milk.
At 15 mos I gave him yogurt for five days, then he had SEVERE diarrhea and
abdominal cramping.  I asked the doctor if this was an allergic reaction.
My answer was, "possibly, or it's possibly just a stomach bug."  I didn't
try dairy again until 18 months.  This time he became extremely moody
after a few days (crying and screaming out of the blue). At first I
attributed his reaction to the milk, but a few days later he developed an
ear infection, which led me to believe that may have been the cause of his
emotional outbursts and not the milk.  I have been too nervous to try
again. I did contact an allergist again and described Josh's reactions and
I was told they are not allergic reactions. My questions to the group are:

1) Have any of you witnessed similar mood-altering reactions?
2) When retesting to see if the allery still exists what food should
you try first? (My pediatrician said yogurt, allergist said milk or
cheese.) And how long do you wait before you see a reaction?
3) If he is still allergic to milk, what should he be drinking?  I have
tried regular soy milk but he hates it...he is still on soy formula, but
I'm afraid he should be off of it by now (not to mention the cost!)

Thank you all so much...the messages I have read so far have already
helped me.  I never knew he could have Pop-Tarts. Yea!

:) Kristi Hullings
3 1/2 year ols son with possible milk allergy
5 1/2 son allergic to peanuts
1 1/2 son no known allergies (what a relief!)

Kristi Hullings
Kindergarten Teacher on Leave
Currently At Home Mother of 3
khulling.gmu.edu