NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Todd & Melissa Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:19:09 -0900
I just subscribed so I will intro myself. My name is Missy, I am the mother
of 13 month old Kyle, who I am suspecting to have a milk allergy or
intolerance.

He has had difficulty with constipation since about 4 or 5 month of age (on
a preemie milk-based formula at the time). I was advised by his
nutritionist at that time to give him prune or apple juice.  His problem
didnt improve much until he began solids abt 6mos. Even then his stools
were pretty firm. Early december the nutritionist had us switch him
gradually to whole cows milk- the more I gave him, the harder his stools
became until they were rock like and actually rolling in his diaper.
Finally, I called the nutri Monday- she told me to cut out his cheese and
other dairy (but not the milk), add prunes and make sure he gets lots of
fiber (he does).  His 'rocks' became prune-colored. I did reading and
decided to buy some soymilk and started eliminating cows milk from his
diet. I am still waiting on the results :)
Allergies/asthma do run in the family. My nephew is allergic to
*everything*- he has a reaction to dairy (hives) just on skin contact. Milk
aggravates my and my sister's asthma.
I have only come acrross one article linking constipation as a sign of milk
hypersensitivity. Anyone know of anything else regarding this?
Fat is another concern- if I can win over his docs i can get a prescription
for soy formula (I am in the US, and participate on a gov't food program
called WIC that gives vouchers for milk, eggs, and such.) If I can't get
the prescription- or even until I do, how do you supplement fat w/o dairy?
My family eats little meat- one or two meals a weeks is a lot of meat for
us, so no go there.

thanks,
Missy