NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:53:59 -0500
Kris Moore wrote:
>I have been told by an allergist that my daughter does NOT
 have a dairy allergy.  I have been told by a pediatric
 gastroenterologist that my daughter IS lactose intolerant, despite
the fact that she had no symptoms during or after the test.<

My first, admittedly glib, reaction is: find another allergist. Fast.

I get letters all the time from people who claim to react to even
the tiniest amount of lactose. I'm somewhat skeptical, but it
could be. But I insist on consistency. I do not believe for one
second that someone could go though a lactose tolerance
test, _not_ have any symptoms in the lab, but have symptoms
from incredibly tiny amounts in food at home.

I do believe that someone with a protein allergy could have
no symptoms to a load of pure test lactose, but have symptoms
from ordinary food. There are many allergists; there are many
tests. If you have only tried one, it is not enough. Try many.

Steve Carper