NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Kris Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:33:27 EST
Hi all!  I read this list regularly and appreciate all the info.  I wanted to
share with you what happened yesterday at McDonald's.  I ordered a hamburger
for my daughter who is extremely sensitive to all dairy (not anaphylactic
though) and when we opened it up, it had a sesame seed bun!  I asked and the
manager said they ran out of hamburger buns so used a Quarter Pounder bun.
That one is also supposed to be dairy free also, but I didn't let my daughter
eat it because what if one of the staff had accidentally used a Big Mac bun
that contains dairy?  My daughter has ongoing digestive problems and it wasn't
worth the risk.

I just wanted to mention this because I'd never seen this happen before, and
if someone just gave their child the wrapped burger, the child might not even
notice the different bun.  And if the child was allergic to sesame seeds, it
could have been a major problem.

Kate

P.S.  I am thinking about trying to find a sit down restaurant where my
daughter can get a non-dairy meal.  Up to this point I have been very
reluctant to trust other to prepare her food, but we really needs to find a
couple of places to eat away from home.  I know about calling ahead, talking
to chef, manager, etc. but any specific advice on type of restaurant, chain
vs. local, types of dishes that appeal to kids that are dairy free would be
appreciated.  My daughter likes American food, mostly fish and chicken, so
Chinese, etc. isn't an option.