NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 14:28:19 -0400
Mark Feblowitz wrote:

>In our case, several potentially severe allergic reactions have been headed
>off with the quick administration of oral antihistamines. For us, the is
>the preferred approach...

Us too: hence the need to allow it.

>Fortunately for you, some effective advocates have already blazed a trial
>for you.

Not only at the state level (which this didn't need to go to, thank goodness) but within the school as well.  The decision was for the school to increase its level of support within the existing legal framework.  They had been uncomfortable for some time about medications and the coverage issues, and had just been waiting for a good opportunity to resolve it.  I guess field trips had also been an issue of some concern, since nursing staff did not go with the field trip - and kids need meds of various kinds wherever they go.

Wrapping a 504 plan around Paige's allergies allows them to kick loose funding more nursing coverage and solve the problem with money (in this case, the easy way!).  It then sets precedent and procedures they keep, even in places that do not involve my daughter.  They are using documentation I pulled together to start a template for the rest of the regional school system.  The school nurse is already in FAN, just ordered the "Off to school with allergies kit" and is planning educational seminars for the K and 1 teachers.  Four kids with peanut allergies (out of 80) in K was a real shock to them.

I was lucky enough to have a school system looking for an excuse to solve a problem.  Much to my surprise, I'm mainly just along for the ride!  So, to whoever came first that put them in that frame of mind - whether on this list or not - THANK YOU!!!!!

Lisa