NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Angela Alvarez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:29:50 +0100
Hello list members,

Yesterday my two-year son went to the Hospital for a challenge with
cow's milk, after testing negative to both skin and RAST tests. We
had to do it according to the Health Insurance, and we thought it
would be good to test and see what happened. Well, here is what we
got (he was given less than 3 oz. in three different feedings)

After the first feeding (5ml.) - nothing really.

After the second feeding (25 ml.) : Itchy eyes, paleness, black
circles around the eyes, hiperactivity, itchyness, moodiness.
We decided to stop the procedure here but the doctor said it was
normal and not allergic reactions since an allergy reaction would
be feeling tired and lethargic and not hyperactive. So we went
ahead hoping to prove the doctors wrong...

After the third feeding (other 25 ml. instead of the 8 oz!! they
were going to give him)  - same symptoms persisted and he
began passing lots of gass with a very bad smell.

We were there for 3 hours after the third feeding and at the end
they certified he was cured from his allergy and we could go
ahead and give him milk. The symptoms we had seen were only in
our imagination and the boy was fine for the doctors.

Later we arrived home and the kid was feeling very tired, slept
for three hours, then got up with diarrhea and severe leg pain (??)
I am most worried about the leg pain, do you think it could be
diary related? He didn't want to walk and went to sleep again
early that night. TOday he is OK , but has big mosquito-bite
like bumps in his bottom and legs, and some in his face too.

Needless to say, I am scared to death to give him milk again.
What do you think, am I obssesing or is all this diary related?

Thanks,

Angela