C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:20:11 -0500
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the list and am learning a lot from the postings and
making a few new friends.

I just recently went to see my othopedist and he is refering me to the
CP clinic at Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA because he thinks I
need several surgeries to correct chronic tendonitis in my right hip
when I walk any significant distance.

That is not what I expected to hear!  I am able to walk on my own
without assistance.  The only modification I have is orthodics in my
shoes.  I am an elementary school teacher so mobility is important.  I
want to be able to teach for a long time and would like to hear from
people who have had similar problems.

He suggests that I need my achilles and hamstrings lengthened.  I've had
the achilles lengthened when I was 5 years old...Can they do it again
with the same success?  Right now, I am at about -5 degrees on ankle
flexion...maybe 40 degrees on the left side for straight leg raise and
50-60 degrees on the right...

I am 26, take no medications of any kind...What is everyone else's
experience with this?  If you've had either surgery (especially later in
life) I'd love to hear more about it, the recovery period, results etc.

Thanks

Linda